My wife and I met with Sandlin Homes Build on Your Own Lot Program in early June 2012.They came across well, and the program seemed solid.
We were excited. A lot of house and amenities for the value. After getting several bids, we chose to go with Sandlin in late June 2012. We worked with Jerrod Goff.
He made continuous promises and commitments to us, but was never willing to put them in writing. Everytime we asked about things, he would lie and say he did not like to respond in writing because he was not a good writer. Mr. Goff, as a representative of Sandlin, even went so far as to explain to us that his job at Sandlin is to be a "professional BS-er." While I was taken back by the comment, he certainly lived up to it, and Sandlin supported him.
After months of my wife and I spending our time and energy, Mr. Goff still had not gotten us a contract. He blamed selection choices and his schedule on the delays, but from late June til early September, we were still unable to get Jerrod Goff to get us a final contract. We had lost 3 1/2 months to his lies.
He made so many promises to us, and simply told us to trust him, but he would never put in writing. After failing to get us a final contract or getting our permit turned in to the City (after his lies and emails saying it was done), we ended up letting them go. Alan Sladek, the VP, called me and said he wanted to earn our business. He seemed legitimate.
After my wife and I cooled down for a couple weeks, I took him up on the deal. He talked very smooth and promised he would "personally" handle things, but once again, he became uncomfortable putting the things that were promised to us in a written contract. After almost another week lost in working with Sandlin, he suddenly emails us out of the blue and says were the difficult ones, and he is not comfortable moving forward and that Sandlin did not wish to move forward. Alan Sladek and Jerrod Goff both are smooth talkers, but DO NOT TRUST them or Sandlin, and DO NOT TRUST your family's home to them.
I personally believe now that they say anything to get you into a vague contract that covers Sandlin well, but potentially really leaves the homeowner with problems and added expenses, as well as cut corners to keep Sandlin's prices down without telling you. I personally believe that Sandlin has lost it's reputation because of lies and not treating customers well. The home we are building (not with Sandlin now, luckily) is over $400K (not much to some, but a lot to others), and I do not think Sandlin knows how to bid or build a true custom home.
My warning to everyone, whether your home is $100K or $1,000,000, is RUN AWAY FROM SANDLIN and DO NOT TRUST any of them.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Review category
- Home Construction and Repair
You May Also Like
- "NO complaints. We are rebuilding because of a fire. The insurance adjuster told us to find a plan and a builder. After researching online for local builders on your own..."
- "Let this video speak for itself. The lowest bidder does the work. The super was a really nice guy but he had no experience with residential building, I..."
- "I purchased a new home from Shea, paying above market rates for upgrades. After the 10 year home warranty period we discovered wood rot in the deck, which we paid..."
- "Went to the all night Walgreens on Green Oaks in Arlington TX. in the wee hours on a Sunday to get a prescription for a pain medicine filled for my..."
- "The flowers were not what i expected almost dead and not completly a Filled Vase for the price i paid $99.95 . end up buying form local florist alot cheaper..."
- "I bought the knives at Sams Club, Dallas TX. I used the long thin knife one time at Thanksgiving, I put it in my stainless steel sink along with..."
- " I bought a brand-new Turbo razor from Bert's first trip out and had a crankcase seal leaking took it in the service department everybody said oh yeah will take..."
- "Time after time. I go in to eat at the restaurant. A nice sit down meal, relax and enjoy dinner. 4x in 6 weeks I get a dinner before I..."
- "I have made the mistake of purchasing 2 leather sofa's in which the pillows tend to keep propping out and we keep sinking into the back of the sofa and..."